Speed dating in tunbridge wells
Next to the barns is the Abbey Farmhouse, part of which dates from the 14th century.Due to the poor quality of roads in the Middle Ages, travel by sea was an important transport corridor.The cockpit-style outdoor auditorium, the first of its kind found in Britain, was a style the Romans used elsewhere in their empire on the Continent.The manor was recorded as Terra Regis, meaning it was part of the ancient royal estates.The town was favoured by King Stephen who established Faversham Abbey, which survived until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1538.Subsequently, the town became an important seaport and established itself as a centre for brewing, and the Shepherd Neame Brewery, founded in 1698, remains a significant major employer.It is close to the A2, which follows an ancient British trackway which was used by the Romans and the Anglo-Saxons, and known as Watling Street.The Faversham name is of Latin via Old English origin, meaning "the metal-worker's village".
Faversham already had a tradition of shipbuilding, and it soon became a major contributor to markets throughout the world, producing vessels such as the Molliette and the Violette, both constructed of concrete.
Among the few surviving buildings of Faversham Abbey are the two barns at Abbey Farm.
Minor Barn was built around 1425; Major Barn, the larger of the two, dates from 1476.
Faversham has a number of landmarks, with several historic churches including St Mary of Charity, Faversham Parish Church, the Maison Dieu and Faversham Recreation Ground.
Faversham Market has been established for over 900 years and is still based in the town centre.